Wednesday, February 22

Barking Child, Sleeping Husband

Sweetie Pie has a world-class cold. She's quite the precocious child as this is definitely a toddler-sized cold. The nose is a fountain. The coughing is seal like. The chest is more congested than Storrow Drive when the Red Sox are playing at home. She's back to not just nursing all night but pacifying herself on me.

Two nights ago, after midnight, her cough sounded horrendous. She'd fall asleep for a few minutes and then wake herself up with her cough. Actually, it was more bark than cough. So I got us out of bed (remember, Sweetie Pie sleeps with me and Adam), opened the gate to the downstairs, got her bundled into her snow suit, put on my jacket, flipped on the outside lights (which shine into our bedroom), and took Sweetie outside for about fifteen minutes to get her some fresh air. It worked. Her cough lost some of the bark and became just a cough again. I left our jackets on the couch, made our way back upstairs, and crawled back into bed, putting Sweetie between me and Adam, while trying to elevate her head.

The next morning Adam says to me, "Your jacket was on the couch!"

Me: Yeah, I know.
Adam: I thought I had put everything away last night.
I just stared at him.
Adam: What?
Me: Are you serious?
Adam: And the gate at the top of the stairs was open. I know I closed it.
Me: Well, when I was taking Sweetie back to bed at nearly 1 a.m. after having taken her outside to clear up her cough, I couldn't close the gate while holding her.
Adam: You got up last night?
Me: Mmm hmm.
Adam: And went outside?
Me: Yup.
Adam: Hmmm. I had no idea.

They say that you never sleep the same way after having kids. I can vouch for that. I think Adam actually sleeps better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home