Wednesday, August 16

A Post About Nothing

Ah, one of those weeks where blogging Wednesday rolls around and I really have nothing to say. My mind is a million places these days--copyediting job, working on my own novel, kids' birthday parties, do we have presents for all the parties we're going to be attending, am I getting enough mileage from my runs, and so on and so on--that I haven't a single witty or interesting thing to blog about this week.

I'm feeling sentimental about my babies' birthdays. Doodles turns three next Wednesday. And Sweetie Pie turns one the following Friday. Such big kids! Doodles is full of questions and wonder and Sweetie Pie is a moving machine. She's big and yummy and cruising her little heart out and trying to mimic our speech and she's definitely looking more toddler than infant and it makes me both so very happy and so very sad.

The moo countdown is on--I need just 24 ounces for two more days of school before she gets whole milk and I already have 12 ounces in the freezer--which is a beautiful thing. I'll pump a little extra so that we can mix it with milk, in case she doesn't like milk, but within two weeks I can confidently say, I'll be pump-free. I haven't made any decisions yet on when to wean her from the br*east for good. I still hate br*eastfeeding. But I do like the closeness with her and the ability to make her so darn happy. But I am anxious to reclaim my body for myself again. I did give away the can of back-up formula that I bought the week before she was born. I'm pretty happy that I didn't have to use it. Not that I have anything against formula--Doodles actually had his fair share of it--but it's cool to think of Sweetie Pie as all-natural, formula-free. I wish I could post pictures of her yumminess for you, but I don't like to do that in the blog. Those with the password can see her yumminess in the photo section.

Tomorrow is the Tweedle Twirp's birthday. Happy birthday Tweeds! How did you get to be 35? I recall when you were Doodle-sized too well for you to be 35. And how the hell did I get old enough that my little sister is practically middle aged? Yeah. I just got notice of my twenty-year high school reunion. Bleah! Actually, I'd go if I didn't have not one, but two better things to do that weekend. It's the same weekend as my marathon and it's also the same weekend that the wonderful Alisa and Jeff will be celebrating their marriage, and as curious as I am to what folks back home have been up to, I'm truly bummed to be missing the wedding party. How is it my calendar is clear for 51 weeks of the year and then everything happens on the same weekend? (Jeff, by the way, writes about his daughter handing him back her uneaten portion of corn on the cob and it brought back memories of going to my favorite rib joint in South Miami, Flynn's, and eating ribs. My father would look over them and say, "Are you done with those? You left half the meat on them," when I was sure that I had cleaned them all off as much as possible. And then he'd say, "Hand 'em over," and would proceed to finish them off. The way Sweetie Pie eats, I don't think I'll ever have this experience. Unless it's her eyeing my plate for tidbits I've left behind.)

Okay, that's enough of nothing. Somehow, when Seinfeld went on about nothing, he was much more interesting. That's just the way it goes.

(And speaking of Seinfeld, I think he and Doodles have some sort of thing going. Remember this Seinfeld quote: "Cinnamon. It should be on tables in restaurants along with salt and pepper. Anytime someone says, 'Ooh, this is so good - what's in this?' the answer invariably comes back, 'cinnamon.' Cinnamon. Again and again." Doodles lives this.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home