Wednesday, January 17

Thoughts

A little random stream-of-consciousness posting tonight because I'm too tired to really post. Haven't been getting a lot of sleep lately--going to bed too late (my fault), waking up too early (kids' fault)--and tonight I went out for a belated birthday dinner with my friend Hannah (happy quarter century, Hannah!), so I'm really not in the mood to come up with anything clever, entertaining, or witty. So here's unpolished me.

Let's see, went to a La Leche meeting last night. Incredibly nice group of women. I felt odd--my very first La Leche meeting and I showed up because I don't want to breastfeed anymore. They were very cool about it. After hearing my woes of weaning, they suggested some techniques, told me to hang in there, and then after I told even more Pie stories, a number of them asked me if I've read the book Raising Your Spirited Child. I fear this is indeed the direction we're heading. I probably should just go ahead and order this now, except that I've had a self-imposed ban on child-rearing books (they just make my eyes glaze over after a while) and I really don't feel ready to dive back in.

Doodles keeps asking the tough questions. Last week he asked me, "When were people built?" I explained that people have been around for a long, long time. To which he asked the logical question, "Why?" No one ever told me I'd need an advanced philosophy/theology degree to raise a preschooler. The poor kid is going to think he's deaf for all the times I mumble incoherently, "I have no idea why." But then he gets cute, and it's so sweet like when we were walking to music class, and I asked, "Who's ready to dance?" and he called out, "Me!" then after thinking for just a moment said, "Mommy, the wind is dancing with my hair!" He's become this very sweet, very sensitive little person. A little person, I should add, who has a newfound love for underwear but no desire to do what's necessary to keep it on.

I should go to sleep because I'm not even doing a real stream of conscious. Not that you'd really want one. The things that go on in this brain of mine are alternately frightening and mind-numbingly boring. I've been thinking about taking a hiatus from this blog so I could focus more on my novel--time spent here is time not spent working on my writing--but I keep wussing out. After all, other than Adam, this blog is the only thing in my life with which I've had such a long-term relationship (over five years now). Here, this and this is what I was doing five years ago today, back when I was wedding planning and Adam was merely an MBA-wannabe. I can barely even remember those days now that I'm knee deep in Bob the Builder underwear and "Winkle Winkle Ittle Ssssss" (which is pretty much a direct transliteration of what Pie calls it).

All right, enough! Over and out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carly said...

you can't stop!!!

alright, I want you to be able to work on your novel... but you can't STOP your blog!!!

If there were only 25 or 26 hours in a day (I would sleep more but you could write more).

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home