Wednesday, March 21

On My Own Again

So once again, Adam deserted his family and headed for the West Coast for a "business trip." Yeah. They played team sports, partied at Jillian's, and had dinner at the billionaire CEO's house. This "business trip" took place at the Ritz-Carlton. Oh, do pity the man and his sleep-filled nights.

And me? Me, I'm home with the Doodles and the Pie. Bless her tiny heart (tiny physically, as everything about her is tiny; not tiny figuratively), the Tweedle Twirp came to stay Sunday and Monday night. That made my kids exceedingly happy as Tweeds is the ultimate kid plaything: she's got grown-up privileges, but she comes in a kid size. What could be better?

And she got the ultimate seal of approval from the kids, too. Normally when I go for a run, Doodles starts to whine, "No, Mommy, don't go for a run! No, Mommy, no!" This past Monday, I got dressed and asked, "Doodles, do you think Tweeds can handle you while I go for a run?" He gave me a "duh" look and said, "Yes!" Pie looked up at me, smiled, and said, "Bye!"

But now the Tweedle Twirp is gone and I'm left answering the endless questions: "Mommy, why is the neighbor's dog outside by himself? Is he a grown-up? Is that why he's allowed outside by himself? What was he born? How are dogs born..." And of course Pie decided upon a 3:30 a.m. wake-up call, only to fitfully sleep then from 4:30 to 6:30. At which point we all got up and I got my coffee made (so much for being caffeine free! Those days are long gone) and got those kids to school in record time.

Yesterday afternoon I took the kids to Whole Foods with the intent of buying something totally junkie for me to eat for dinner after the kiddies went to bed (it was in lieu of a glass of wine, which I won't have when I'm alone with them). But can I tell you, I found nothing! I thought a box of chocolates or--even better--marzipan or maybe some yummy bread and their crab or spinach dip. But they didn't have the dips I like, they didn't have boxes of chocolates (just the fancy stuff behind the counter, and as much as I wanted a treat, I couldn't buy myself a box worth of chocolates when they were $1.69 per piece of chocolate) and no marzipan! How pathetic is it that my special treat ended up being balsamic portabella mushrooms and olives from the antipasto bar? I can't even junk it up right anymore.

At least tonight Adam comes back on the red eye, so he'll be home by the time we wake up in the morning (he should even be back in time for the 3:30 a.m. wake up call!). Of course, where he'll sleep, I have no idea, because since he's been gone, Doodles has taken up residency on Adam's side of the bed. But that's between Adam and Doodles.

And as for me? Don't look for me tomorrow morning. I'm sleeping in!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home