Wednesday, March 12

The Gates Project

I've read a number of times that kids like boundaries. It helps them feel safe in the world. But no one has demonstrated that more the Pie. We're having a tough time with that monkey, but as she's both two and terrible, I'm hoping this is a phase she will outgrow. Our lives have become one big temper tantrum. The slightest thing will set her off and I'm at a little bit of a loss as to how to deal with it, as Doodles didn't go through this phase till he was three and a half and a little more capable of reasoning. (If anyone has any favorite books on this subject, suggest them, please!)

Anyway, as mentioned, she's in the big girl bed. Which is causing big girl problems. Because Pie has never gone to bed nicely, but at least before, she couldn't get up. Naps are nearly nonexistent unless I have a specific bribe/lie ("Oh, the rules at the YMCA are that anyone in the Seahorse swim class must take a nap before class. If you don't take the nap, the Y won't let you swim. Sorry, it's just the rules!"). But if I don't have that, forget it!

The other night was particularly bad. An hour and a half of top-of-her-lungs screaming as she wandered in and out of the bedroom. Finally, Adam threatened, "If you don't stay in bed, I'm going to put a gate on the door!"

Pie immediately stopped crying. "Want gate!"
Adam: You want a gate?
More screaming, but eventually, "Want gate!" More screaming ensued.

So Adam dutifully went to my office, which is gated off from grabby hands, and took the gate. He moved it to Pie and Doodles's door. Pie took one look at the gate, one look at us, then looked at the gate again. She then walked over to her bed, climbed in, and not another peep from her.

Frankly, I think it was all a big fat ploy for them to gain easy access to my office. Because that's just the kind of devious kids I've got. More power to them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home