Wednesday, June 18

Here Comes the Bride

Part One
We hit the local thrift shop and Pie immediately gravitated toward a particular book,What Is a Princess. The last spread of the book reads, "And princesses live happily ever after" with the final page a picture of Cinderella in her wedding dress with her prince (in all fairness, it also tells that princesses are smart and brave as well). Pie declared it a good bedtime book, "because it's such a good story." But it prompted this bedtime discussion:

Pie: Is Cinderella getting married?
Me: Yes, she is.
Pie: Can I get married?
Me: When you're a grown-up, you may get married. But only grown-ups get married.
Pie: Can I marry Daddy?
Me: No. I'm afraid Daddy is already married to me. You can marry someone else.
Pie: Who can I marry?
Me: You'll grow up and fall in love. And that's who you'll marry.
Pie: I can marry a man?
Me: You can marry a man. Or you can marry a woman. You'll marry another person.
Pie: I'll marry another person?
Me: Yes.
Pie: I want to marry a man.
Me: Okay.
Pie: I want to marry Daddy.
Me: Sorry. I already married him.
Pie: Can I have a baby and get married?
Me: Sure! Most folks do it in the other order, though. They get married and then have a baby.
Pie: I want to have a baby and get married.
Me: Okay.
Pie: Will you hold it?
Me: What?
Pie: Will you hold the baby? When I get married?
Me: Sure.

This feminist mommy is sure trying to be supportive, but no one told me it would get so political so young!

Part Two
Friday night dinner conversation:
Pie: Mommy, when I'm big, can I marry you?
Me: I'm 'fraid not. I'm already married.
Pie: Can I marry Doodles?
Me: You really can't marry anyone who's related to you.
Adam: You can marry [he lists two boys from her school] Alberto or Englebert!
Me: Or you can marry Marvin. Or Angela or Jasmine!
Adam: Right, this is a progressive household.
Pie: I can marry Jasmine?
Me: Sure!
Pie: I want to marry Jasmine!
Me: Okay!
Doodles: That would be good. Because if you marry Jasmine, then there could be two mamas to have babies.
Pie: Can I wear a dress?
Doodles: Silly, you have to wear a dress when you get married!
Me: Actually, you don't. But, yes, you may wear a dress.
Pie: My fourth of July dress?
Doodles: That won't fit you by then!
Me: Yes, you may wear your fourth of July dress.
Pie: Can we dance?
Doodles: You always dance at weddings.
Me: Yes, you may dance.
Pie: Dance! And I marry Jasmine.
She goes back to eating her cookie, happy that one of the major decisions of her life are complete.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home