Sunday, January 18

Of Mice and Men

As I mentioned, I'm really enjoying a bunch of craft blogs. Universally, these women (always women) who create these blogs seem to have these lives that involve cups of warm tea, knitting while the kids make imaginary worlds out of scarves and cardboard boxes, and lots of nature walks. I've learned that when a child is home for the day, all you need is a pile of books, a few art projects, and the ingredients to make fresh bread or ginger molasses cookies.

Last week, Pie was home sick. Did I say sick? The girl psyched me out. On Thursday night, she had a 101.2 fever. The next morning, she woke up with 100.5. Within two minutes of my calling her sick into preschool, her fever dropped, and she spent the day hovering in the 99.1 range. You know. The not-sick range. So she was bouncing off of walls. On the coldest day of the year. When the high was 14 degrees. And the low subzero.

I had a lovely day for myself planned. On Monday, I had spent the morning in Pie's preschool, making snowman pancakes with the class, because Pie had been jealous that I go in weekly to Doodles's classroom (of course, a half hour before I was to go in, she said, "I changed my mind! I don't want you there." but she got over it). On Wednesday I was in the kindergarten (and I've told Doodles's teacher that I can no longer work at his table, because it makes me crazy. I want to yell, "Stop being a Chatty Cathy and focus on your work!" But he's not doing anything different from any of the other kids and I just need to work at another station). Tuesday is ballet; Thursday is ice skating. But as I promised all you people a completed draft of my novel, and I've actually been thinking about it and I have a ton of ideas and I have started working on it (and I've been reading Manuscript Makeover: Revision Techniques No Fiction Writer Can Afford to Ignore and it's given me some good starting points; revision has always been a weakness of mine); I was anxious to dive into my novel. Especially because Monday is MLK Day so no school for the wee ones.

But the best laid plans, yadda, yadda, yadda. Pie was kinda sorta sick. The novel could wait. Alone time is overrated. I needed to take care of my baby. So Pie and I had a morning together, alone at home. And I've read my blogs. I know what to do. I set us up in the living room. I put her on the couch. I pulled a blanket over her. I made myself a cup of tea. And I turned on Noggin and stopped reading those blogs. I'm feeling much better now. Maybe I'll even make some ginger molasses cookies. Or I'll buy some from Wilson Farms and pretend I made them. See. I can be crafty, too.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

All my knitting takes place while the kids are either watching TV or killing each other or both. (They're talented at multitasking that way.)

And, seriously, will Doodles eat ginger molasses cookies? My kids will only eat oatmeal no-raisin cookies. Why even BOTHER baking when that's the highest we can aim for? I ask you.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

You don't remember my boy's eating habits. Cookies, cakes, breads are his mainstay. Remember how miserable your pixie was when the desserts came out and how my boy coveted her food? The only way I can sneak veggies and fruit in is to put them into a baked good (pumpkin pancakes, zucchini-carrot muffins, banana bread). If you have a good broccoli waffle recipe, send it my way! :-)

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home