Wednesday, January 23

Hard to type in an entry when my hands are completely numb. I just attended one of the greatest marketing ploys--I mean patriotic events--of my time. At exactly 5:12, the Olympic torch was to pass beneath my work building. And at precisely 5:52, it showed up. But not until the Coke van came driving slowly by handing out free Cokes. And then the second one came by handing out "I Saw the Flame" flags. And the Chevrolet SUV came by to hand out the blow-up kind of noisemakers. And the vendors came by selling shirts and flags. Much of the office went down to the street to watch, only it's cold out and none of us had planned on watching. I really wanted to see it, although I couldn't for the life of me tell you why, which is why I went in the first place. And then I had to stay, because once you've stayed this long, it's dumb to leave. I complained to Deb, "What's their problem? I could run faster than that." Deb said, "Watch it be some guy in a wheel chair." Eventually, the cops came to block off the road, and the motorcade of cops passed by really slowly. A van full of other torch carriers went by, and then finally, there was a van that was barely moving and behind it was the flicker of a flame... taped to the arm of a wheelchair. The guy in the wheelchair was flanked by two younger boys, one who was on crutches. I can't remember the last time I've ever seen anyone look so happy. But why not? when does anyone get to have a street blocked off for them while they're cheered on by hoardes of onlookers (the side of the street was pretty full with folks). The carriers wear these outfits that look like Olympic space suits. Still, it was a pretty cool thing to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home