Friday, March 22

The blog is on the road--I'm writing from my father's computer in Miami Beach. I'm here for my cousin's wedding. But the really exciting news for this weekend is that Claire Bear got into the creative writing program at U-Dub. Yeah, Claire Bear. Although, I am so not surprised. Her writing is fantastic. If only she would share it with more folks...

Anyway, I've been here for a day and already I'm enmeshed in my home life. At Shannon's rehearsal dinner tonight, my grandmother said to me, "You just look lovely. You've lost a lot of weight. Last time you were here you were fat and you really didn't look good. But you look nice now. Really. Last time you were just so unattractive because you were so fat." This went on. I heard the word "fat" at least four times. But at least I got to spend time with my favorite boy cousin, Milo, and my favorite girl cousin, Annie. They were adorable. They're both psyched for the trip to Seattle.

This keyboard makes me crazy--typing on a low, flat keyboard and this monitor is skewed funny. Miami is such a funny place. It's home, but it's not home. I sort of feel like I don't have a real home, because I've never lived any one place for an extended period of time. My parents no longer live in the house I grew up in; now they have a lovely condo, but it's not home. Even the art is different. Once upon a time, it was all metal phallic pieces. Now she's on to nudes. I see my grandmother in my mother and I see my mother in me, and I think I'm afraid. Abba was in good spirits tonight, but he's seeming older. Couldn't get enough Jack Daniels in his glass. I did confirm, though, that there will be an open bar at the rehearsal dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home