Saturday, July 20

604 miles, Burley, Idaho
The day started lazily with a hike outside of Cascade Locks to the top of a fall. Although, my shoe came apart on the way down, which I should have taken for an ominous sign… but I didn’t. I was annoyed that my sandal broke, until I remembered that these sandals had been bought for $20 at a Thom McCann for my first road trip in 1994. Those sandals deserved to die.

Anyway, the day moved on. And on. And on. Having only driven 207 miles the first day, we were determined to get well into Idaho today. I don’t remember my days being this long when I drove myself. But then I wasn’t in a black car on 96 degree days with no air-conditioning and no caffeine (this dull nagging headache will go away soon…it has to!). At one point, I realized that my left side was getting sunburned, so I insisted on driving a bit to even out the color. Only it seems that I’ve forgotten how to drive a stick and I got a road full of curves, so the experiment lasted quite briefly. So we drove. And drove. And drove. Stopped in Boise for dinner at about 7:30. After, we figured we’d drive about another hour and stop for the night. So we stopped for gas… and that’s when I discovered that my credit card was gone. Ugh. I’m sure I dropped it somewhere, but we searched the car to no avail. Which was minorly stressful, but not too big a deal, since Adam has a credit card and I still have a bank card. So, now we’re tired and it’s 10 p.m. and I’m out one credit card. “We can stop in Glenns Ferry,” I told Adam, who I’m a little worried about, because he’s looking a little droopy eyed. Only, there are no motels in Glenns Ferry. All the friggin’ mileage signs have Glenns Ferry, it’s a bigger name on the map, but no motels. And another 50 miles to Twin Falls. Okay, fine. So we pull into Twin Falls at about 11:15 p.m. And it’s full. Not a single room in a single hotel at all. Period. Now, it’s on to Burley. We pull into a Best Western at midnight. They have only the Bridal Room and the Executive Room left. Adam asks me, “Should we look around for a cheaper room?” The man is insane. “NO!” We took the bridal room (which is bridal, because…?) for a whopping $30 more than our budget. But we slept. And it was good. And tomorrow is another day.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home