Wednesday, September 25

Bad Blogger, Bad!

Each day that I don't blog just adds to the guilt I'm feeling for neglecting my one outlet of stress (other than beating on Adam, but that's getting old at this point) and the easiest way I have to communicate with my friends who don't live in Boston. Things have just gotten so out-of-hand busy, though, that I feel like I barely have time to eat, never mind blog. Adam and I have officially entered the Harvard stage where we don't see each other anymore. (Which means those of you who had any thoughts about us having a baby can just banish them from your mind for at least a year, because last I heard, to get pregnant, the man and the woman had to be alone, together, in the same room for more than the "gotta run" peck on the cheek.)

Breaking Up Is Hard to Do

Last weekend, I spent a brief, brief time in Seattle before heading to Poulsbo for Mary's wedding. My friends kept saying, "Aren't you glad to be back," and I kept telling them, "Not really." As I described it, it's like I've just recently broken up with Seattle. Oh, I've got a new boyfriend (his name is Boston, and he's much more urbane and complicated than Seattle. He has depth and vitality), who I like just fine. Sure, he's not Seattle. But Seattle and I are over. Yet, the wound is too fresh. Needs to heal a bit more. Basically, I'm just not ready to be friends yet. So, no, I really wasn't all that psyched about my trip back. But yes, the wedding was so beautiful, it made me forget that I was in turmoil.

And the Bridesmaid Wore a... Collar

The place Mary chose for her wedding was stunning. The food was superb. But the best part was the procession, which included Mary's dog, Anna. Anna isn't always the most obedient of dogs (one of her more endearing traits). As many of you may know, I'm not a dog person (cats are the way to go), but even I can grudgingly look on Mary's mutt and work up some feelings of affection. Everyone is sitting outside in the outdoor garden. And from outside the trees, about halfway down to the restaurant, you can hear the bride yelling, "Anna. Anna! Get back here Anna!" But Anna finally behaved and with only the most minor of detours made it, with her floral collar, to the front. The only--only--negative to the wedding was the officiant had the entire crowd sing to the bride and groom. That part was very nice. But the song he chose was "Skinny Marinky Dinky Dink." I'd never heard of it. And now, it's been playing nonstop in my mind since the wedding. Make it stop!

Scrapbook This!

The partners club is sending out notice after notice about scrapbooking. Who knew that it was such the popular event. We can work on our scrapbooks next Tuesday, if we'd like, although keep in mind that this is not an "official" scrapbooking event. That won't be for another two weeks. And we all know how folks get when they can't get their scrapbooking fix! Why don't they ever have a Martini Night. I'd go. Even if it weren't an official event.

Work, the Old-Fashioned Way

As we all know, I never discuss work here. But I will say it's been most enjoyable so far, the people are wonderful, and nothing is done on computers! They use paper! Real live dead-wood paper. Bizarre! In fact, I get fewer than eight e-mails a day (even in my first week at Amazon, I was receiving about 50 a day. When I left, that number was usually between 150 and 200 in a day). They arrange meetings by e-mail or phone. No Meeting Maker, no Outlook meetings. People use the kind of calendars you use a pen on. The style sheet is a word document. Let me tell you, it is taking me no time at all to adjust to this new alien way of working. Also, I'm in a large cubicle that faces a window. I have a perfect view of Fenway (and no, I can't see the games themselves, although if I peer enough, I can make out the scoreboard). But, the even better thing about this view, I'm told, is we face an art school. Yeah, yeah, art school. Big whoop. Well, they have naked models. (Let's see what kind of folks search for the term "naked" and anything else and are terribly disappointed when they come up with my site.) Time to invest in binoculars, methinks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home