Wednesday, January 15

Sew What?

My eyes are just tiny slits this morning, barely able to open up enough to see the screen. Last night was my first sewing class and as anyone who knows me knows, I am not an evening person. Normally, right here, right now in the glorious a.m. hours are my prime time. So as I was falling asleep in my lemongrass shrimp dinner before class last night, I said to Adam, "Not going to make it. Need caffeine." The fact that the lovely weather was one of those "15 degrees, feels like 4" (which it is right now), didn't help a whole lot (that weather simply screams for a warm bed. You thought it was the wind, didn't you? Nope. It was the screams of the weather). So off to Starbucks we went where all I had was a tall nonfat latte. Just a single. No big deal. Except that I've been off of caffeine for a long, long time. It did the trick. I was up and alert in class. And after class. And when I got into bed. And as I tried to fall asleep. And at 3 a.m. Seems to have lost all of its effect now. But then, caffeine raced through my veins like it was Dario Franchitti and I was the Monaco Grand Prix. (Okay, I have no idea if Franchitti actually races the Monaco Grand Prix, but he's the only race car driver I know of--and only because he's married to Ashley Judd--and the Monaco Grand Prix is the only race that came to mind.) (Another digression: Want to marry a celebrity but want to do away with all the nasty stalking? Just create your own marriage certificate and vows and tell everyone you've married Judd Nelson or whoever your famous love happens to be.)

So (Sew?) was it worth it? Yep. I know how to thread a sewing machine. Big step for me. The teacher is a trip. She's an attractive Russian woman in her, I'm guessing, 40s, who is very no nonsense. "You don't like the projects we are doing? No I won't change them. This is my class. This is what we do." She went around the room and had us tell our sewing background (mine is I can sew on a button in a pinch, but not very well), and whenever anyone mentioned that they knew someone who knew how to sew, she would bark out, "And why did they not teach you!" On one hand, very accusing, but on the other hand, just too funny. She was very concerned about why people were taking the class ("Are you taking this because you want to learn? Or because your mother wants you to learn?"). She also told us she would be very offended if we drop out of the class. So I guess I better stay in it. Besides, next week is buttons, hooks and eyes, and snaps. How can I pass that up?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home