Wednesday, March 26

A Night Out

Well, I finally made it out of the house and managed to stay up past 9 p.m. I think I may be turning a corner. After work, Hannah and I went to Johnny D's in Somerville before going to a reading where our coworker Midge was reading her Improper Bostonian short-story-contest winner. Her reading was great, although the others were a bit of a mixed bag. I think the whole thing would have been better had it been a shorter reading--too many readers made for a long night. I had one of those ridiculous moments where if you saw it in a movie you'd think, "That's too stupid to really happen," when I went to look at my watch, not even paying attention to the fact that I had a cup of orange juice in my hand, which splattered everywhere as I turned my wrist (and the cup) to see the time. Luckily, the cup was pretty much empty. After the event, I met Shannon at the Cambridgeport Saloon, but I got there just as her crowd was breaking up, so I didn't stay for very long.

Adam's out tonight at a boy's night for his section. Now, before you think anything sexist is going on, the girl's are having their night too. I know because they very kindly invited the wives and girlfriends of their male sectionmates. (I'm willing to bet anyone reading this ten bucks that it never occurred to the boys to invite the male partners of their female sectionmates.) Had I not had the reading I had promised to go to, I may have actually gone. However, I did notice a slight inequality in the events planned. The girl's were having a "girl's night in" with wine, DVDs, girly things. And the boys? Could they do anything sensible like that? No, they're going to a $50 a plate dinner at the Capital Grille and that doesn't include drinks. As our bank account is, as it is always wont to do at the end of the month, dwindling, we watch what we spend until my payday. However, that didn't stop Adam from requiring $100 for a single night out. On a Wednesday. For no good reason other than apparently some of his classmates have money to burn. What is it with boys that they can't just enjoy their own company, that there must always be large amounts of money spent or copious amounts of entertainment (c'mon, when was the last time that you saw guys get together to just "hang out" that didn't involve a. a bar, b. Nintendo or c. a sporting event). Can you picture all the cool HBS boys just getting together to gab and watch a flick at someone's house? Me neither.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home