Saturday, March 29

Saturday Musings

It's Peter's birthday. And he's being grumpy about it. Give the birthday bunny a break, and have a good birthday.

Yesterday we were released from work early because of the fine work our department has done. So with the beautiful weather and the 3:30 quitting time, I headed to a nursery to pick up something for the yard. I never got around to planting bulbs last fall so our garden is nonexistent. After being told by many people that planting now is futile (it may be 68 degrees today, but it's supposed to snow on Tuesday), I went to Mahoney's to find out if there was anything I could plant. The woman working there was a no-nonsense sort of woman who reluctantly admitted that I could plant some of the hardier perennials now as well as the bulbs that had been forced (such as the daffodils). "But really," she kept saying, "you just want to be planning out where you want to put things now. Make a design. You should prepare the land now--mulch it, fertilize it, prepare your beds--so you're all ready to plant in a month or two." Um, excuse me? Design? Mulch? Fertilize? Beds? I figure I'll use the same planting method I've always used--dig a whole in the ground, stick something in, and hope it lives. Always worked before.

Adam and I decided to go to the movies today. The Hours and Chicago are playing in Lexington. Old School is playing at Fresh Pond. I let Adam pick what we saw. I bet you're struggling to figure out what he picked. Sigh.

After the movie, we went to Toys R Us, because I needed a teddy bear for reasons I shall not yet disclose (and it's not for the baby. Well, not directly). I felt bad for the salesman, a grown man, who I heard say with a straight face to someone looking for a toy, "Just head down to the end of Animal Alley and take a left." We quickly found the teddy bear but decided to wander a bit. It's alarming how much we'll have to get (although we're buying nothing just yet. I figure we have a few more months before I'll feel okay by baby gear). Adam pointed out that many of the strollers looked like off-road vehicles. We did get a little stuck in the Imaginarium section, trying out the toys. I remember the days when a globe was just a round map. Now it's an "interactive learning tool." Adam stared with rapt glee at the Home Depot toy section. Remind me to never send him in there by himself. Who knows what he'll walk out with. For himself, I mean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home