Wednesday, September 24

When Even Sleep Is a Luxury...

It's not that I don't have anything to blog these days, it's just that I'm unable to blog. I mean physically. Because at all times, there's a baby attached to me. I thought once I gave birth, I was done carrying the baby 24/7. Turns out I was wrong. The Doodlebug is a crier. Loves to cry. The only thing that stops him from crying is being held. Which means I end up holding him at all times. In fact, right now, I'm sitting on the couch, with the Doodlebug lying across my lap, the computer on a pillow on my knees, and my left hand barely reaching the keyboard from beneath his head. It's not the easiest going. So I guess I just have to accept that blogging may be a once-a-week activity for me. So a quick rundown on all the things I've been thinking about that I haven't gotten to write about:
  • Did everyone see that article in the New York Times Magazine about the four-year-old skateboarder about to go pro? Maybe it's my new maternal instincts (hey, turns out I do have some!), but I found it horrifying. If the Doodlebug showed a proclivity for an activity at a young age, I'd certainly want to encourage it. But it seems to me detrimental to allow a child to focus so completely on any one thing and to accept corporate sponsorships. I had lots to say about this when I read the article, but dirty diapers have chased those thoughts away. I just want to say, I think it's a bad, bad thing (see what happens when you only blog once a week? Your verbal skills deteriorate).
  • I'm not sure if he'll like me mentioning it, but Adam earned first-year honors last year at HBS. Yeah, Adam!
  • My Doodlebug is the cutest Doodlebug ever.
  • I've signed up for Nanowrimo again. I don't have any ideas for what this year's novel is about, but I have a strong hunch it will be baby related. I'm looking forward to jumpstarting my creative writing.
  • Speaking of novels, I think I have an idea of how to end the novel I'd been working on. Once the Doodlebug gets on more of a schedule, my goal is to write a page a day. Just a page. That's doable, right?
  • The Tweedle Twirp stayed with us for a month after the Doodlebug was born. She was an amazing help, and it's been rough with her gone. She was fantastic with the DB, and she sang him his favorite song, a TT original, "It's Hard to Be a Baby." Adam and I agreed that the best way to get through this was to just pretend that she's at the grocery store, and she'll be home just a few minutes after Adam gets home from school. So far, it's working.
  • The Doodlebug is officially short and fat. He had his one-month check-up, and he's in the 5th percentile for length (he's gone from 19 inches to 20 1/4 inches), but he's in the 50th percentile for his weight (from 6 lbs, 10 ozs to 9 lbs, 6.9 ozs). He's definitely his mother's son!
  • I knew babies cried. But I never knew they snorted, barked, growled, and squeaked.
  • We've started venturing out again. In fact, we went to the HBS Fall Community party. Funny thing is, I'm the one who pushed to go, that's how desperate I was to get out of the house. Who would have thought I'd ever want to go to an HBS event?
  • The new Bachelor starts tonight. And yes, I'm watching. How can you not root for Bob?
  • I've been reading DB Barnyard Dance!. Adam's been reading him Dante's Inferno. Which is fine with me. It just guarantees I'll be the Doodlebug's favorite parent.

Okay, this position is cutting off all circulation to my left arm. I'm going to have to figure out a new way to juggle the DB and the computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home