Wednesday, March 8

To Sleep Perchance to Dream, Round 2

Almost exactly two years ago, we Ferberized Doodles. This time around, I promised myself that we wouldn't make the same sleep mistakes with Sweetie, that this time I would be firmer about her cosleeping in the cosleeper rather than inbetween Adam and myself, that this time around we would not have to Ferberize my poor sweet innocent little Moon Pie.

Needless to say, we're now Ferberizing Sweetie Pie. It's horrible. It's always horrible and it doesn't get any easier. I fell into the same trap with Miss Pie that I had with my little Doodlebug: cosleeping lead to all-night nursing. I'm not exagerating. Sweetie Pie was unable to soothe herself to sleep, so she'd wake up once an hour and need to pacify herself on my br*east in order to fall asleep. I've been a zombie for months. And yet I don't want to kick her out of bed. She's my little Sweetie Pie and I love waking up to her sweet little coos and the soft milky breath as she greets the day. But I reached my breaking point and it was time to remove the little br*east monger from my bed.

Unfortunately, we did not want to Ferberize in her own crib, as she'll be sharing a room with her big brother. So we detached the cosleeper and made it into a crib at the end of the room where she can't see us. And we started. Oh, did we start. It was horrible. She'd do this, "Waa waa waa" thing and just as I was to go in and comfort her, she'd go, "gasp gasp gasp" and I'd hear sleep breathing and feel relieved. Except that within two minutes, she'd start with the crying again. The second night was much, much better and last night was just okay. Of course last night, I told Adam I was going to bed at 8:30 because I was so darn tired. So I crawled into bed, just in time for Sweetie to start her little cycle of waa waa. I listened to her cry on and off for about an hour and fifteen minutes. And then she fell asleep. So, I blissfully, drifted off myself...for five minutes. Which is when child number 1 decided that for the first time in five months, he wasn't going to sleep through the night. I went in to soothe him, wondering where the heck Adam was. I got back into bed only to have Doodles call out again. Too tired to do anything else, I simply brought him back to our room and stuck him into bed with me. Apparently I am incapable of not having a child in bed, but at least this one doesn't lunge for my chest on an hourly basis. I finally got to sleep at about 11. And where was my charming husband who is basically in charge of child number 1? I found out later that he fell asleep in the armchair downstairs mid-spreadsheet, his laptop open on his lap, his arm propping his head up. At least he got his when both children woke at 4:40 this morning and he had to take them while I slept for two hours more.

Tonight I was spared Ferber as I had a girls' dinner out. Adam's on duty and so far, he hasn't fallen asleep on his post yet. I do see a light at the end of the sleep tunnel, but it's a very faint light and I fear if I look too closely, it'll end up being the headlight of an oncoming train. (And no, Doodles, not a Thomas train).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home