Monday, July 29

We Made It!
Arrived safely in Boston last night after two nights in the New York area. Adam and I went out to celebrate my cousin's engagement on Saturday night in the East Village, which gave me lots of opportunities to say things such as, "Oh the East Village used to be so much cooler and less Yuppified," and "What happend to [Insert name of bar that hasn't existed for at least 7 years]? That was the coolest bar." Adam and I, who are normally in bed by 10 p.m. when not under the influence of the Tweedle Twirp and her evil night ways, were doing find until Tweeds gleefully asked us, "Do you have any idea what time it is?" Hadn't occurred to me. "It's quarter to four!" Instantly I became exhausted and had to sleep immediately. My body is not meant for the wee morning hours unless I'm just waking up.

We made a pilgramage to Ground Zero, which was simply a hole in the ground. What shocked me is how small the whole area seemed. The World Trade Towers always seemed so massive and huge when I went down there, but the area they were on seemed too small. What I found the most affecting was seeing the buildings that were around the WTC block that were covered. One was draped entirely in black with a flag on it that I found particularly creepy. I wonder if this had happened in any other country if it would be the type of tourist destination it obviously is here. Believe me, we weren't alone in our trip to the site.

The rest of the visit was lighter. Since we were in the city for less than 24 hours, we decided we wouldn't call anyone, so if you live in New York and didn't hear from us, that's why. Simply not enough time. But we'll be back.

And then Sunday, bleary eyed and butt sore, we made it to Boston. A surreal feeling, actually. As I said to Adam, "It doesn't feel like this is it, that we're now here for good." This feels like just one more stop on our trip. I imagine after the closing on Wednesday when we fork over a bajillion dollars and have a place of our own, maybe this will feel more permanent. We're doing what we can: today we are going to get paint samples that we can put on the walls on Wednesday afternoon so we can see what colors work in the new house. Also, we need to start furniture shopping. We're going from 790 square feet of livable space to 1800+ square feet. That's a lot of house to fill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home