Wednesday, April 23

Adventures in CWITing

Since I'm going to be giving my life over to that of a CMIT (as coined by Adam's sectionmates, a Corporate-Mom-in-Training), I figured it was time I sucked it up and learned how to be an HBS wife in style. And that, apparently, includes scrapbooking. Everyone talks about it, many of my friends have succumbed, and I get more e-mails about scrapbooking events than any other from the Partner's Club. So, I figured, why not try it. After all, I should probably get past photos in order before Brown Brown comes and my stack of photos grows even taller. I mean, I'm no longer a newlywed, and yet I've a stack of wedding crap waiting to be put somewhere.

So I attended a gathering among friends (which means I can openly mock them). All I can say is "Wow." This is a real live actual cult. With pep talks and support groups and everything. I have to say, sitting around a table with a bunch of girlfriends (wishing I could join them in having a glass of wine), it's easy to be seduced by the soothing colors and fancy tools. Oooh, a punch! Aaah, fancy scissors! Eee, pretty patterns! I spent half an hour just trying to decide which way to make my squares go.

Final verdict? Well, it seems they were offering up grape Kool-Aid, and I really prefer the fruit punch kind, so I didn't partake. I don't think scrapbooking is going to be a passion of mine, and I did go into it with an open mind. However, I definitely enjoyed the company of the women and will certainly return to future events with my own albums to organize, albeit probably a lot more plainly and more straightforward (with photo corners straight on the pages) than their artistically done masterpieces (some of their stuff is incredible, but it just doesn't feel like old slap-n-dash me). It was great fun to be able to chat and enjoy myself without having to meet with everyone in smoky bars or over expensive dinners. I'll just have to find another way to get my CWIT credentials.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home