Friday, June 13

Bah Hambug

Everyone who has read this blog for more than, oh, say, a week, knows that Adam and I are Jewish. Happily Jewish. It's not a hard fact to grasp. Our parents are Jewish. Our grandparents are Jewish. Our great-grandparents were... well, you get the idea. What I'm trying to say is we're Jews and everyone knows it. Everyone, that is, except apparently my dear father. The problem? Santa Claus. My father asked me today if I was going to raise Brown Brown to believe in Santa Claus. "You're kidding, right?" I asked, deep down knowing that he wasn't. "No!" he exclaimed. "Of course not! Oh, how I loved Santa Claus. I'd get so excited on Christmas Eve I wouldn't be able to sleep just thinking about what he brought me." "But you had no Christmas tree," I responded, knowing full well that his parents wouldn't allow a Christmas tree in the house. "Didn't matter. Our friends--many Jewish--had Christmas trees. But, oh, Santa Claus. How can you deprive your child of Santa Claus?" How? I'd say it's pretty easy. We celebrate Hanukah (which I should point out is eight fun-filled nights of presents). We have no chimney. We don't believe that Jesus is our lord and savior. The issue is pretty black and white to me! "You want me to lie to my child," I try, " and then break his little heart when he gets the double whammy of the fact that there's no jolly red man and that his parents are liars?" "It's not like that at all. Why disappoint him? You're in New England, and you'll have the snow and jingle bells ringing and it will be holiday season and poor Brown Brown won't have any presents on Christmas. You'd really do that to your son?" I would like to announce to the world once and for all and with great finality: Yes. I have no issues doing that to my son.

I'm guessing that this e-mail I just received--"you better not cry, you better not pout, i'm telling you why, santa claus is coming to town for brown brown"--means that this is not the last I'll hear of this issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home