Wednesday, October 8

Class of 2029

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but when Doodlebug and I went to Spangler to visit with Jason, who was at HBS to recruit for Amazon, I put Doodlebug in his Harvard Business School shirt. The worst part of it is he looked darn good in it! (Of course, Doodlebug looks darn good in frog jammies, too, so I wouldn't read too much into this.)

Seeing Jason was great, and it's always fun catching up with Seattlites (and it was a virtual reunion as we ran into two other former Amazonians, plus of course, Adam). On one hand it makes me miss Seattle, but on the other it also makes me happy to have moved on. I really miss my friends--I often wish I could walk with Doodlebug around Green Lake with one of my many friends back there who are either pregnant or newly mothered or fathered. And I miss the outdoorsy nature of Seattle, walking along Golden Gardens, listening to the swush of the water in Puget Sound. But I enjoy what I'm doing here. While I loved working at Amazon, my time there was definitely up and hearing what's going on back there makes me realize that I left at the perfect time in terms of my own interests. Had we stayed in Seattle, I don't know what kind of satisfying work I would have found. My job at BU reminded me of how much I love writing, and I produced some articles with which I'm quite pleased (my two last pieces: an article about indie book stores and a profile of author Leslie Epstein). Now I just need to segue that into a full-time writing career, and slowly give up the editing. I guess I'm saying my maternity leave is over and it's time for me to get back into the swing of things.