Wednesday, October 1

Le Cinema

On Monday, Doodlebug saw his first movie, Swimming Pool. Not exactly Rugrats, I know, but the local second-run theater has baby matinees on Mondays: stroller parking in the lobby, the lights not completely dim, and the sound just a tad softer. Of course crying babies and nursing are absolutely allowed. The Loews downtown does an even bigger affair, with entertainment ahead of time and first-run films, but it's a pain in the butt to get to with no parking, so second run it is for me! Also, the other moms in my mom's group go for a walk and lunch first and then a bunch go to the movies, so it's more fun.

Swimming Pool is an incredible film, and I'm still thinking about what the ending means (if you've seen it and have ideas, let me know!). It would never occur to me to list Francois Ozon on my list of favorite directors, yet his films stay with me longer than others. Sitcom was remarkable, but See the Sea was absolutely the most disturbing film I have ever seen. I don't think I could watch it again, although the image of the final scene is burned into my mind. His films are slow paced, and if you're not prepared for that, I think they could seem boring. Yet, if you know his style, you're constantly seeking out clues, and the leisurely pace becomes a means of suspense. The cinematography is beautiful. I'm still turning the ending over and over, but I definitely recommend this--and the other Ozon films for that matter.