Wednesday, May 23

Clean Work

I don't like to talk about work on my blog, because, well, it's highly unprofessional. But let me break that rule for just a moment to set the scene for you. Doodles will be missing a day of school this month for a Jewish holiday (Shavuot), which means one fewer workday for me, which has me in a bit of a tizzy. When you only have two working days a week, each one really counts. I have 250 pages of a proofreading job. I have a 9 a.m. phone interview for an article I'm writing. I have a meeting with a new client about an upcoming project. I have 13 miniarticles due to a Web site I write for. And I have a six hour work day. Adam has already left with Pie for daycare and I drop Doodles off at 8:30 a.m. at preschool, which means I have a bit of hustling to do, as it's 8:13 a.m., and I need a shower (I did run. No matter how busy I am--or perhaps I should say the more busy I am--my run is vital to my mental well being).

I get into the shower and begin washing as fast as I can. Doodles pops his head into the bathroom. "Can I shower with you?"

I'm scrubbing quickly as I say, "Sweetie, I am soooo behind today. I just can't let you shower with me. I promise you can tomorrow!"

"Okay," he says and he wanders back off to his train table.

I'm just rinsing the conditioner out of my hair, cognizant that it is 8:21 a.m. and that if I leave in three minutes, Doodles will be at school on time and I'll be home with 20 minutes to spare to prep for my interview, when a little voice pops up. "Mommy, I'm going to take a shower with you."

I peek out of the shower to witness my son standing there, naked as naked can be. "What are you doing!!!" I yell. "Get dressed! Get dressed RIGHT THIS SECOND!"

To his credit (or to the credit of the utter panic in my voice), the boy did get himself dressed again.

He got to school on time. I finished my phone interview. The proofreading job is done. But I don't know how people do this who actually have offices they need to report to and managers who know when they're still in their pajamas. I feel for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home