Thursday, September 4

Sniff Sniff

Yesterday, at the playground, I leaned back on the bench and put my hands behind my head as I gazed around... (You all know this is pure artistic license, as no mother of two ever gets to lean back on a bench and just gaze around. If--if--she gets to sit, she's hunched over, ready to jump up as she shouts, "Pie! Get down from there! You are not big enough for those monkey bars! Doodles! Doodles! What are you doing? You know better! We do not hang upside down from the see saw! Oh shit, where the hell are the Band-Aids?"). Where was I? Oh right, sitting on my literary device, gazing out at an idyllic scene of children happily playing, when I smelled something pretty foul. I turned my head a bit to figure out what it was and then I got it. The smell was me.

I go running three mornings a week. On a fourth morning I do boot camp. I generally cross-train one other day a week (biking, yoga, occasionally even a swim). And that means I shower at a minimum four days a week, but usually five.

Only I sprained a tendon. And I'm off of running for two weeks. Which, inadvertently, has led me to two shower-free weeks.

The thing is, I just don't think about taking showers when I'm not all sweaty and gross. So days and days go by without cleanliness. Until I sniff. And then I go running for the water.

Funny thing, at my kids' annual check-ups yesterday, I asked how often they needed to bathe, because my kids HATE it. With a passion. And the answer was, that kids really only need it when the dirt is absolutely caked on or, really, every three or four weeks. They don't get oily and greasy like grown-ups do.

So there you go. Adam showers to go to work--usually. And the rest of us will be living a life embracing the dirt. You may not want to come by until I start running again. This small apartment can really absorb smells...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger pepe said...

Oh, Chris is going to become your biggest fan, Jenny. He takes max one shower/week as he tries to "conserve" water. I will not mention flashing the toillet...Petru also hates taking baths and we are down to one bath/week - good to know that's OK. I recently found out that some runners wear deodorant during runs. Can you believe that?

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home