Thursday, June 19

Drink Me

Today at my 28-week appointment, I have to take a blood test to check for gestational diabetes. The way this works is I drink a super sweet orange drink an hour before my appointment and then they test the sugar levels in my blood. I'm not feeling very optimistic about this drink though. It's sitting in the office fridge, and I don't find the following warning to be comforting: "To enhance palatability, chill before drinking." Couldn't they even have said, "enhance flavor?" Or they could have stated it like it is, "Choke this thing down as fast as you can before you get sick." Of course, further instructions are even more ludicrous: "Instruct the patient to remain quiet, refrain from smoking and avoid caffeine before and during the test." Not the latter two of course--I don't smoke and I don't have more than a two cups of coffee a week--but "remain quiet"? Do these people not understand who they are dealing with? What kind of blood test do you need to remain quiet for? Are they afraid I'll wake up the blood sugar?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home