Wednesday, October 8

Impaired Individuals

The Dialing Impaired: An alarming number of people out there don't seem to realize that when someone has a baby, you can no longer call them late at night. Hey, people: Duh!

The E-mailing Impaired: The September 29 issue of the New Yorker had a Talk of the Town piece about an e-mail exchange between an HBS student and Jim Rogers, a supposed financial big wig who gave a talk on campus. You can read the details of what happened in the article, but what I'm amazed at is the proof that e-mail travels farther and faster than the Doodlebug's projectile vomit (I know, not the best analogy, but I've got spit-up on the brain. And let me tell you, that vomit travels fast, furious, and far!). Adam forwarded me the e-mail a little while ago because he thought it would be good fodder for my HBS-disparaging ways. I read it but discounted it because it actually made me feel bad for the HBS guy. While he is clearly way too big for his britches, Rogers reply was so repugnant that the HBS guy comes off as the wronged party. But how bizarre that this e-mail ended up all over Wall Street, on the other side of the globe, and in the New Yorker in a matter of what seems to be days. What really amazes me is that supposedly intelligent people would write such ridiculousness to each other in an e-mail. Do these people not understand how the medium works? Why prove to the world your stupidity?

The Gift-Giving Impaired: We received a baby gift that wasn't particularly our style. It was given with good intentions, but it was given by someone we think should have known better. I asked Adam, "What are we going to do with this?" Adam said, "Sell it on eBay." I asked, "And what if the person asks where it is?" Adam replied, "We'll just say, we didn't like your gift, so we sold it on eBay." Needless to say, we still have the gift. And I still haven't figured out what to do with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home