Monday, August 4

Joisey Weekend

Adam gave me an out. "You'll be 34 weeks pregnant. You really don't have to come with me to the wedding." "Oh," I blithesomely said, "I'm not worried." And it was true, all the discomforts of the weekend came not from the baby (although sitting in a car for so long with a head crammed in your ribs is not the most comfortable of things) but just from the sheer exhaustion of getting from Boston to Atlantic City and back in one weekend (because of his internship, Adam couldn't take Friday off). Note to self: Do not try to leave Boston on a Friday at 5:30. Never ever ever ever. Luckily, the Tweedle Twirp's weekday home is two hours from Atlantic City, so we used that as our homebase, breaking up the ride and meaning we got to skip the $180 hotel room. Of course, the Tweedle Twirp is a graduate student. What does that mean? It means a futon on the floor. TT was concerned about me on it, and I said, "Oh, no problem! I always fall asleep in my yoga class and that's on the floor." And it's true--her futon was quite comfy. But, man, getting up and down from the futon was less than graceful. It involved some rocking back and forth, a half-hearted leap, and my grabbing onto whatever was closest to pull myself up every time I needed the bathroom. Adam, of course, slept soundly. One thing I can say for TT's apartment: it made me realize just how happy I am to have air conditioning at home.

The wedding itself was lovely. There were a few snafus, but as a guest and not a participant, I could just sit back and relax and not worry about them (for instance, the florist thought the wedding was on Sunday, not Saturday, so many of the flowers were not ready. The wedding started forty minutes late as they waited for what flowers they had, and from what I heard, the bridesmaid's flowers came from the Stop N' Shop. They were still pretty, though). You know, I had so much fun planning our wedding and I really enjoyed the day and I am so happy that I'll never have to do it again. Guest is way more fun than participant. Adam was an usher in the wedding, and the funniest part was that the morning suit he had to wear was HUGE on him. You could barely see his hands under the cuffs.

Sunday was my day, though. A trip to Ikea where we finished purchasing things for the baby's room (a dresser and a table/shelf). Lunch with an old friend of mine. And shopping at the baby store at Jersey Gardens. Then we attempted to leave the Tri-State area. I think it's the fastest we've ever done it: only an hour and forty minutes to get from Elizabeth, New Jersey to the other side of the George Washington Bridge. What a joy. We made it home in about five and a half hours.

All in all, a good weekend. But from here on out, whenever I'm given an out... I'll be taking it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home