Wednesday, April 14

Grammar Gods

I don't normally take online quizzes. Life is simply too short. However, I was tempted by Daniella's link to a grammar quiz. While this blog may not accurately represent my love of grammar (if I worried about grammar here, I'd never get anything posted), I do have a fetish for the particulars of the English language. So I took the test. And my title was broadly proclaimed on its site:

You are a GRAMMAR GOD! If your mission in life is not already to preserve the English tongue, it should be.
Congratulations and thank you! How grammatically sound are you? brought to you by Quizilla

Cool, I'm a Grammar God. I can live with that.

BUT (and there's always a but isn't there?) Adam put this nifty little program on my computer so that I can see my desktop computer on my laptop. This is helpful because there are plenty of times that Doodles is playing happily in the living room, but I'd like to answer e-mail, which is only on my desktop. This way I can work off my desktop while on my laptop (for you geeky folks, the program is Real VNC). Stick with me, there is relevance here. When Adam set it up, though, he also made it so my laptop could work off of his computer, for those days when he was too lazy to go get his laptop from his office downstairs. This afternoon, Doodles was happily jumping in his Jumperoo and both Adam and I were busy on our laptops (I was finally catching up on the blogs I like to read and Adam, most likely, was commenting on Sons of Sam Horn). I I.M.ed him the quiz link across the whole two feet separating us and he took the quiz. Just because I'm nosey, I decided to spy in on his computer to see how he was doing (with his permission, of course--because my computer will control his computer there's no way for me to do it without his knowing about it). Oh, how gleefully I watched as he mixed up his "which" and his "that." I giggled at his misunderstanding of the possessive with a final "s." I felt superior as he mixed up his "I" and his "me." And I waited for him to get back his final score--would he do well enough for an "average" or was he going to get "You are a complete and utter BASTARDIZATION of the English tongue!" But then it showed: Adam came up with Grammar God as well. I'm not saying I got all the answers right and he got them wrong. But I will say that on at least four out of twenty questions we differed in our answers. One of us is not a Grammar God. And I'm not naming names here, but someone ask Adam what a "misplaced modifier" is. Stupid quiz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home